- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped okra
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 pound cooked ham, cubed
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can black-eyed peas
- Heat 1/3 cup oil in a medium saucepan over medium low heat, and whisk in flour. Whisking constantly, cook 5 to 7 minutes, until a golden brown roux has formed.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium high heat. Stir in okra, onion, celery, and garlic, and cook 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Thoroughly blend roux into the vegetable mixture. Stir in water, tomatoes, parsley, salt, thyme, cayenne pepper, pepper, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in ham, and continue cooking 15 minutes, until tender.
- Stir in black-eyed peas, and continue cooking until heated through.
Black-Eyed Peas and Gumbo, recipe