- 1 pound celery root, peeled and quartered
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 pinch salt to taste
- 1 pinch ground white pepper to taste
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 slices Italian bread, cubed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a simmer, add celery root pieces, and simmer until soft, about 30 minutes. Drain.
- Place celery root in a blender and process until smooth. Transfer puree to a pot, add vegetable broth, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add cream and cook until hot, but don't boil. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a skillet over medium heat and toast bread cubes until dry and lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with chopped parsley and croutons.
celery root soup with croutons, recipe