- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Melt butter with oil in a large saucepan over low heat. Add onion; cook and stir until translucent, 7 to 10 minutes. Add chickpeas and cook until heated through, 3 to 5 minutes. Add rice; cook and stir until translucent and coated in oil, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Season drumsticks with 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, and 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook drumsticks until skin is golden brown and crispy on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Pour chicken broth into a deep saucepan and bring to a boil. Season with remaining salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper; add thyme. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Transfer chickpea-rice mixture to an oven-proof cast iron skillet. Pour in the chicken broth and mix. Place drumsticks on top and cover skillet tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until rice is tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove aluminum foil, raise oven temperature to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C); continue baking until rice is crispy on top, 10 to 15 minutes more.
Chicken and Chickpea Rice Pilaf, recipe