- 1 1/3 cups cornmeal
- 2/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch round cake pan. Sift together the cornmeal, flour, salt and baking powder, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the yogurt, stirring after each addition. Finally, fold in the strawberries. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick or knife inserted, comes out clean. Cool cake in the pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes then invert onto a serving plate. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
cornmeal strawberry cake, recipe