- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or as needed
- 2 pounds eggplant, quartered and sliced, or more to taste
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup wheat berries
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat grill for medium heat and lightly oil the grate.
- Brush eggplant slices with about 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Grill eggplant on the preheated grill until tender and lightly browned, about 5 minutes per side.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pot over medium heat; cook and stir onion and garlic in the hot oil until onion is softened, 5 to 10 minutes. Add chicken broth, wheat berries, barley, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and allspice to onion mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover pot, and simmer until wheat berries are tender and some liquid is still remaining, about 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Stir tomatoes and black beans into wheat berries mixture; remove pot from heat. Stir eggplant into wheat berries mixture; pour into a 9x9-inch casserole dish. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.
Eggplant Wheat Berry Casserole, recipe