- 4 cups water
- 2 cups dry lentils
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- 10 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried chile pepper
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 3 large stalks celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- In a medium size stock pot add 4 cups water, dhal peas, fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds and soak for about 1 hour. When softened, drain and rinse well.
- In a large stock pot, add 10 cups water and drained dhal pea mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 1/2 hour or until peas are soft.
- In a saute pan, add olive oil, garlic and onions and cook until lightly browned.
- Add onion mixture, crushed chili pepper, carrots and celery to large stock pot. Cook for 15 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Puree soup in batches in a blender or food processor. Return to stock pot and add salt, turmeric, curry powder, chicken soup base and soy sauce. Simmer for another 5 minutes and then serve
fijian dhal soup, recipe