- 1 tablespoon butter, plus more for pan
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 10 fresh apricots, pitted and sliced
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup crushed walnuts
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Grease a 9-inch cake pan with butter, and dust with bread crumbs; set aside.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the sliced apricots, and drizzle with honey. Cover, and cook gently until the apricots have softened, then allow to cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg whites to soft peaks with an electric mixer. Slowly pour in sugar while continuing to beat to stiff peaks; set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks on low speed for a few seconds until slightly thickened. Slowly pour in sugar while continuing to beat until thickened and light-colored. Beat in milk, then sift together flour with baking powder, and fold into yolks along with cooled apricot mixture, walnuts, and egg whites until combined.
- Pour into prepared pan, and bake in the middle or bottom of the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Loosen the cake by running a knife around the edges of the pan. Invert cake onto a plate, then place another plate on the cake bottom, and flip right-side-up; cool completely before serving.
Fresh Apricot-Honey Sponge Cake (Russian Style), recipe