- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 stalks celery, cut into 4-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, cut into large chunks
- 1 potato, cut into large chunks
- 1 onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 large outer leaves romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup gluten-free beer
- 2 shallots, halved
- 1 fennel bulb, outer layers only
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1/8 apple
- 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 1 wedge lemon
- 1 (1 inch) piece ginger
- 2 tablespoons tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups water
- Coat the bottom of a slow cooker crock with olive oil. Put celery, carrots, potato, onion, lettuce, beer, shallots, fennel, bell pepper, apple, parsley, peppercorns, lemon, ginger, tamari, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and bay leaf into the slow cooker crock. Pour water over the ingredients.
- Cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours, or on High for 4 hours.
- Remove and discard all solid chunks from the liquid using a slotted spoon.
- Line a colander with cheesecloth and set over a large pot; strain broth through the cheesecloth.
Gluten-Free Vegan Stock for the Slow Cooker, recipe