- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup finely minced onion
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- chopped cilantro (optional)
- fresh lemon wedges (optional)
- medium red onion, sliced (optional)
- spicy cilantro chutney
- Whisk yogurt, lemon juice, onion, garlic, ginger, garam masala, paprika, cumin, turmeric, and cayenne pepper together in a bowl until combined.
- Toss lamb and salt into marinade; mix until lamb pieces are coated evenly. Cover mixture with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight, or at least 4 hours.
- Skewer lamb pieces so they barely touch. Wipe off excess marinade with a paper towel. Brush with vegetable oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Preheat grill for medium heat and lightly oil the grate.
- Grill skewers on medium heat until lamb springs back to the touch, about 5 to 7 minutes on each side.
- Garnish with red onions, lemon wedges, and chopped cilantro as desired.
grilled "tandoori" lamb, recipe