- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups unsweetened canned pumpkin puree
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 (4 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a Bundt pan.
- Sift the self-rising flour and pumpkin pie spice together into a bowl. In another mixing bowl, beat the white and brown sugars, vegetable oil, melted butter, applesauce, vanilla, pumpkin, and eggs together until smooth.
- Gradually beat the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, until completely smooth and well blended. Pour the batter into the prepared Bundt pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes. Cover cake with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning, and bake until a wooden skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes longer. Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack for about half an hour.
- To unmold the cake, tap the bottom of the Bundt pan on the counter or work surface to help release it. Invert the cake on a serving plate and allow it to cool completely before glazing.
- To make the glaze, mix the cream cheese with the butter, confectioners' sugar, rum extract, and milk in a bowl. Heat in a microwave oven for 15 seconds. Drizzle spoonfuls over the cooled cake. Keep cake refrigerated after serving.
holiday pumpkin cake with rum-cream cheese glaze, recipe