- 3 pounds beef soup bones
- 2 quarts water
- 4 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 beets, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons paprika, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 small head cabbage, shredded
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- Combine soup bones and water in a large pot; bring the water to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook at a simmer for 4 hours.
- Remove soup bones and meat from pot; set aside until cool enough to handle. Skim fat from the surface of the broth. Add potatoes, carrots, celery, beets, onion, garlic, salt, paprika, and ground black pepper to the broth. Bring broth again to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 1 hour more.
- Pick meat off soup bones and add back to soup. Discard bones and fat. Stir cabbage, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste into the soup. Continue cooking at a simmer until the cabbage is tender, about 15 minutes.
Jen's Borscht With Beef, recipe