- 6 beets, peeled
- 6 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 parsley root with greens, peeled and diced, greens finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon (such as Better Than Bouillon®) (optional)
- Place beets, potatoes, carrots, parsley root (greens reserved), celery, and vinegar in a large pot; season with salt and pepper. Pour enough water to cover vegetables into the pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer until vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Remove beets with a slotted spoon; set aside to cool slightly, about 10 minutes. Grate beets when they are cool enough to handle.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan, whisk in flour, and cook and stir until mixture is a light tan color, about 10 minutes; stir mixture into soup. Stir in grated beets and parsley root greens; bring to a simmer and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season soup with vegetable bouillon, salt, and pepper.
omi's borscht, recipe