- 1 1/2 cups butter, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 drops green food color
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until well blended. Cover or wrap dough, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. If you are in a big hurry, freeze for a half hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch in thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 1/2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 7 to 8 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the frosting: In a medium bowl, beat the lime juice, milk, confectioners' sugar and green food color until smooth and creamy. Add more milk or sugar if necessary to achieve a good spreading consistency. When cookies are completely cool, spread icing between cookies to make sandwiches.
Lime Sandwich Sugar Cookies, recipe