- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Turn on a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot(R)) and select Saute function. Add ground beef. Cook and stir until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and discard grease. Transfer cooked beef to a separate container.
- Pour oil into the Instant Pot(R) and select Saute function. Add onion, garlic, and salt. Cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Make a hole in the center of the mixture and add chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Let spices sit for 30 seconds, then stir into the onion. Return cooked beef to the pot and add water. Stir, being sure to scrape any browned bits from the bottom.
- Stir beans, crushed tomatoes, and tomato paste into the beef mixture. Close and lock the lid. Select Chili function and set the timer for 10 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.
- Release pressure using the natural-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, 10 to 40 minutes. Unlock and remove the lid.
nstant pot® chili, recipe