- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 2 tablespoons basil, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons oregano, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 20 ripe tomatoes - peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1/2 cup red wine, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Mix celery, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, carrot, basil, oregano, thyme, salt, and black pepper together in a bowl until the vegetables are evenly coated in seasonings.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Cook and stir onion and garlic in hot oil until onion is soft and garlic is light golden brown, 5 to 10 minutes. Add vegetable mixture to the skillet; cook and stir until hot, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat.
- Combine tomatoes and 1/4 cup red wine in a large pot over low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes begin to soften, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Pour tomato mixture into a blender with remaining 1/4 cup red wine and cornstarch to no more than half full. Cover and hold lid down; pulse a few times before leaving on to blend. Puree in batches until smooth.
- Return blended tomatoes to pot over medium-low heat. Stir vegetable mixture through tomato sauce; bring to a simmer and cook until thick, about 1 hour.
Pasta Sauce - Vegan, recipe