- 1 (4 pound) lean raw corned beef brisket
- 3 tablespoons pickling spice
- 2 stalks celery, cut into halves
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 4-inch pieces
- 1 1/4 pounds red potatoes, quartered
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 head Savoy cabbage, cut into 6 wedges
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle Irish stout beer
- hot water, as needed
- 1/3 cup grated horseradish, drained
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Place the corned beef into the bottom of a large slow cooker.
- Scatter the pickling spice over the brisket.
- Layer the celery, carrots, potatoes, and onion atop the brisket, respectively.
- Pour the stout beer into the slow cooker. Add enough hot water to the slow cooker to cover the brisket by at least 1 inch.
- Cook on High until the brisket reaches the desired consistency, 7 to 8 hours.
- Remove the brisket and vegetables from the slow cooker to a large bowl; cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Remove 1 cup of the liquid in the slow cooker; pour into a small pot over medium heat. Cook the liquid until the volume is reduced by about half, about 10 minutes. Transfer the reduced liquid to a small bowl; stir the horseradish and sour cream into the liquid to make a sauce.
- Submerge the cabbage wedges in the liquid remaining in the slow cooker; cook until the cabbage softens yet retains some crispiness, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove the cabbage to a platter. Ladle remaining liquid from the slow cooker into a bowl.
- Slice the brisket across the grain. Serve with the vegetable mixture, cabbage, horseradish sauce, and liquid from the slow cooker.
Sarah's Slow-Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage, recipe