- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 large shallots, sliced
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- 1 (8 ounce) package dried rice noodles
- 1/2 pound raw shrimp
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce, or to taste
- 1 clove garlic, or to taste
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 sprigs fresh mint, or more to taste
- 2 limes, cut into wedges, or to taste
- Combine chicken stock, vegetable broth, shallots, soy sauce, fish sauce, ginger, rice vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, pepper, cinnamon stick, and star anise in a large pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until flavors combine, 1 to 2 hours. Strain out solids and return broth to the pot.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add rice noodles and cook until opaque, 4 to 5 minutes.
- While noodles are cooking, saute shrimp with soy sauce and garlic in a skillet until shrimp are cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Drain noodles and rinse until cold water. Divide among 6 large soup bowls. Ladle hot broth over noodles and top with shrimp, bean sprouts, and green onions. Serve basil, cilantro, mint, and lime wedges alongside.
shrimp pho, recipe