- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons liquid hickory smoke flavoring
- 7 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground dried chipotle pepper
- 2 teaspoons hot smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder (such as Keen's®)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 3/4 pounds pork shoulder roast
- Mix tomato paste, vinegar, onion flakes, yellow mustard, molasses, garlic, olive oil, and liquid smoke in a bowl to create a thick paste. Stir brown sugar, kosher salt, cumin, chipotle pepper, paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, mustard powder, and cayenne pepper into tomato paste mixture.
- Place pork shoulder into a slow cooker and add paste mixture.
- Cook on High for 4 hours. Shred pork with 2 forks and remove bone. Reduce heat to Low and continue cooking for 1 to 2 more hours.
Spicy Pulled Pork Pushover, recipe