- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into chunks
- 4 stalks celery, cut into chunks
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 1 (28 ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 lime, juiced
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat; cook and stir onion, celery, and garlic until softened, 5 to 10 minutes. Add green bell pepper and jalapeno peppers to onion mixture; cook and stir until peppers are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour tequila into vegetable mixture and simmer until slightly reduced, 3 to 4 minutes. Add fired-roasted tomatoes, vegetable stock, crushed tomatoes, lime juice, salt, and pepper to vegetable-tequila mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until flavors have blended, about 20 minutes. Stir cilantro into soup just before serving.
Spicy Tequila-Lime Tomato Soup, recipe