- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 serrano pepper, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a skillet; add onions and cook and stir until they begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Raise the heat to medium-high and add bell pepper, serrano pepper, garlic, ground cumin, ground turmeric, and cayenne pepper to onion, cook and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Mix diced tomatoes, black beans, tomato sauce, green onion, lime juice, salt, and brown sugar into onion mixture; bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until flavors combine, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and top with cilantro.
Spicy Vegetarian Black Beans (Fusion), recipe