- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 4 cups diced rhubarb
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 6 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon white sugar for decoration
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (optional)
- 1 cup white sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 cup butter (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Line a pie pan with bottom crust.
- Mix together rhubarb, strawberries, orange zest, 1 1/2 cups sugar, and tapioca. Spoon into crust. Roll out second crust, and place over the filling. Seal the edges. Brush with milk, and sprinkle extra sugar on top.
- Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and bake for an additional 35 minutes.
- For a crumb topping, omit top pie crust. Combine flour, 1 cup sugar, and salt. Cut in butter or margarine until mixture is crumbly. Spoon over filling, and bake as directed above.
strawberry rhubarb pie, recipe