- 2 cups dry lentils
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 pound turkey sausage
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- sea salt to taste
- 1 (8 ounce) container plain lowfat yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Bring lentils and vegetable broth to a boil in a large pot over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the garlic, onion, celery, and sausage; cook and stir until the sausage is crumbly and no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, turmeric, cumin, thyme, and red pepper flakes; cook 5 minutes more.
- Stir the sausage mixture into the simmering lentils. Continue simmering until the lentils are tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt. Garnish each serving with a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkle of chopped parsley to serve.
Turkey-Lentil Chili, recipe