- 5 sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 pound bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 quart half-and-half, or as needed
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Place the sweet potatoes into a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain and allow to steam dry for a minute or two. Puree potatoes in a food processor or blender in batches until smooth. Return pureed potatoes to the large pot; set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat; cook the onion in the hot oil until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the sausage to the skillet and cook until completely browned, breaking the meat apart with the back of a wooden spoon as it cooks. Stir the garlic, mushrooms, and Italian seasoning into the sausage-and-onion mixture; continue cooking until the mushrooms are tender, another 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; transfer to the pot with the potatoes.
- Place the large pot over low heat. Pour the half-and-half over the mixture, stirring to mix. Allow the soup to slowly heat until hot and to your desired consistency. Garnish with Parmesan cheese to serve.
Tuscan Savory Sweet Potato Soup, recipe