- 2 cups UNCLE BEN'S® Natural Whole Grain Brown Rice
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 small eggplant
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can navy beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a saucepan, saute the onion in the oil until it has lightly browned. Add the garlic, salt, pepper and turmeric. Add rice and broth, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, peel and cut the eggplant into 1/4-inch slices. Sprinkle with salt and set aside for about 10 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
- Lightly salt the eggplant and spray with oil. Brown both sides in a hot skillet, set aside.
- Once the rice is cooked, mix in yogurt and transfer mixture to a large shallow casserole dish. Spread the navy and garbanzo beans over the rice and then top with layer of eggplant and chopped tomatoes.
- Bake uncovered in a preheated 350 F oven for about 20 minutes.
Vegetarian Oven-Baked Brown and Wild Rice with Eggplant, recipe