- 1 cup water
- 6 large firm russet potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 pint heavy cream at room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons dry instant mashed potato flakes, or as needed (optional)
- salt and ground white pepper to taste
- Pour water into a saucepan. Place a large steamer basket into the saucepan over (not touching) the water, and place the potatoes into the basket. Bring the water to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover the pan and basket with a lid, and steam potatoes until tender in the center, about 20 minutes. A skewer inserted into a potato should easily pierce the center. Using tongs to hold hot potatoes, peel them, and set aside. Reserve potato cooking water.
- Place 1 cup of cream and the butter into the work bowl of a large stand mixer fitted with mixing paddle, and start the machine on low speed. Mix until the cream and butter are blended; add potatoes, and beat until thoroughly mixed. As potatoes mash, gradually pour in remaining cup of cream. If potatoes are too stiff, beat in reserved potato cooking water, 1 tablespoon at a time. If potatoes are too runny, beat in instant mashed potato flakes, 1 tablespoon at a time, until you reach desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
Absolute Best Mashed Potatoes, recipe