- 1 gallon water
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- lemon pepper to taste
- 1 (3 ounce) package dry crab and shrimp seasoning mix
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed or to taste
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 4 lemons, sliced and crushed
- 2 oranges, sliced and crushed
- 1 lime, sliced and crushed
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- Pour the water into a large bowl or small bucket. If you must use a pot, use one that does not contain aluminum. Stir in the kosher salt, white sugar, brown sugar, lemon pepper, parsley and seasoning mix. Add the garlic, hot pepper sauce, lemons, oranges, lime and onion.
- Soak your salmon in this brine in the refrigerator for 12 to 36 hours. Smoke using your desired method (see Cook's Note).
Brine for Smoked Salmon, recipe