- 2 cups water
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, or more to taste
- 5 cups reduced-sodium tomato juice
- 2 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black beans
- 1 (28 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can low-sodium tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pour water and bulgur into a saucepan. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer until tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain off excess water.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add carrots, onions, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, and jalapeno pepper; cook and stir until softened and starting to brown, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in garlic; cook and stir until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir cooked bulgur, tomato juice, kidney beans, black beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, taco seasoning, cumin, cayenne, and pepper into the pot. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until flavors combine, 20 to 30 minutes.
bulgur chili, recipe