- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1/3 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper bake cups. Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, cream together 1/3 cup butter and white sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well. Pour in the flour mixture alternately with 3/4 cup milk; beat well. Fill the prepared muffin cups evenly, about half full.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden and the tops spring back when lightly pressed, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, cream 1/4 cup butter with brown sugar until light and fluffy. Blend in 2 tablespoons milk until well combined and fold in the coconut, walnuts, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- With the warm cupcakes in the muffin pan, carefully spread about 2 teaspoons of the frosting on the center of each one. Do not spread the frosting all the way to the edge.
- Preheat the oven's broiler and set the oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source.
- Broil the tops of the cupcakes in the preheated oven until coconut is lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
Buttery Cupcakes with Coconut Topping, recipe