- 1/2 bulb garlic, peeled
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 (1 pound) loaf sourdough bread, cubed
- 1 cup ghee
- Combine garlic and oil in a small saucepan. Simmer until cloves are a light gold color, about 15 minutes. Pour oil through a fine sieve, squeeze all juice from cloves, and then discard the solids. Set garlic oil aside.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Arrange bread cubes in a single layer on baking sheet. Bake, turning bread cubes periodically, until lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- In a large, non-stick skillet, melt 1/3 cup ghee with 1/3 cup garlic oil over medium heat. Cook toasted bread cubes in batches until light to medium golden brown, turning frequently. Add more ghee and garlic oil as needed. Turn out into basket lined with paper towels, and drain for about 20 minutes.
caesar salad croutons, recipe