- 1 cup bite size frosted wheat cereal
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 2 eggs
- 6 cups bread flour
- In a large bowl, combine cereal, brown sugar, shortening and salt. Pour boiling mixture over mixture. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Combine cereal and yeast mixtures. Add eggs and two cups flour; mix well. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into two equal pieces and form into loaves. Place the loaves into two lightly greased 9x5 inch loaf pans. Cover the loaves with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake in preheated oven until brown, about 30 minutes. Remove from pans and let cool on a wire rack.
cereal bread, recipe