- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts (optional)
- Grind the oats in a blender or food processor until fine. In a large bowl, combine ground oats, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk, milk, oil, egg, and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Mix wet ingredients into dry with a few swift strokes. Stir in nuts, if desired.
- Lightly oil a skillet or griddle, and preheat it to medium heat. Ladle 1/3 cup of the batter onto the hot skillet; cook the pancakes for 2 to 4 minutes per side, or until brown.
Grain and Nut Whole Wheat Pancakes, recipe