- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- 2 potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F (175 degree C). Coat a 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onion in oil for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the ground beef and basil, and cook and stir for 5 more minutes. Mix in the garlic, green beans, and tomatoes, and simmer for 5 minutes. Transfer beef mixture to prepared dish.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the mashed potatoes, egg, and water. Spread evenly over meat mixture.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until potatoes start to brown on top. Sprinkle with cheese, and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
Ground Beef Shepherd's Pie, recipe