- 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Warm the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Mix in the butter, sugar and salt; stir until melted. Let cool until lukewarm.
- In a large bowl, combine the yeast mixture, milk mixture, whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour; stir well to combine. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 45 minutes.
- Deflate the dough and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into twelve equal pieces and form into football-shaped oval. Place the rolls onto lightly greased baking sheets. Brush rolls with melted butter, cover with greased plastic wrap, and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Bake rolls in preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Serve warm.
Hearty Wheat Yeast Rolls, recipe