- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3/4 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachio nuts
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat and cook onion, turmeric, and cardamom, stirring constantly, until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add rice and mix well.
- Pour chicken broth into the saucepan, stir, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed, about 17 minutes.
- Toast pistachios in a dry skillet until fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes; remove from skillet and coarsely chop.
- Place golden raisins in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Soak for 1 minute and drain well.
- Remove rice from heat and allow to stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Mix in pistachios, raisins, and green onions; season with salt.
Mediterranean Rice Pilaf with Pistachios and Golden Raisins, recipe