- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm milk
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Lightly grease a microwave-safe 9x5 inch loaf pan; sprinkle pan with cornmeal.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add milk, sugar, salt, soda and whole wheat flour; beat well. Beat in all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until a soft dough is formed. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead for about 5 minutes, or until smooth. Form into a loaf, and place into the prepared pan.
- Place in microwave oven uncovered, at 50 percent power, for 1 minute. Let rest for 10 minutes. Repeat 1 or 2 times until loaf has doubled in size.
- Microwave on high for 4 to 6 minutes, until top is no longer moist. Let stand for 5 minutes in pan. Remove and cool on a rack.
Microwave English Muffin Bread, recipe