- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal, or as needed
- 3 cups unbleached bread flour, divided
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour, divided
- 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Grease 2 loaf pans with butter; coat bottoms and sides with 1 tablespoon cornmeal.
- Mix 1 1/2 cup bread flour, 1 1/2 cup white whole-wheat flour, yeast, and baking soda together in a large bowl.
- Combine milk, water, sugar, and salt in a saucepan over low heat; heat until mixture registers 125 degrees F (52 degrees C) on a thermometer, about 5 minutes.
- Stir warm milk mixture into the flour mixture; add remaining 1 1/2 cup bread flour and 1 1/2 cup white whole-wheat flour. Mix until dough comes together.
- Divide dough in half; place 1 piece in each loaf pan. Sprinkle remaining cornmeal on top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Bake loaves in the preheated oven until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Invert onto a wire rack and cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
No-Knead English Muffin Bread, recipe