- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint (optional)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, or to taste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and fresh coarsely ground black pepper to taste
- Stir chickpeas, black beans, tomatoes, red onion, parsley, and mint together in a large bowl.
- Whisk lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, cumin, salt, and ground pepper together in a bowl; pour over chickpea mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate salad until flavors blend, about 30 minutes.
Middle Eastern Balela Salad, recipe