- 1 (16 ounce) package sweet cornbread mix (such as Martha White®)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 pounds extra-lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced, or more to taste
- 1 (8 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Mix cornbread mix, milk, and egg together in a bowl until smooth.
- Combine ground beef, onion, and jalapeno pepper in a large oven-proof skillet; cook and stir until beef is browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in enchilada sauce, salsa, corn, and chipotle pepper until heated through, about 5 minutes. Pour cornbread batter on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until top is golden brown, about 40 minutes. Sprinkle Cheddar cheese over the top. Continue baking until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes more. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
One-Pan Tamale Pie, recipe