- 1 cup white cornmeal
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, undrained
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 2 quart casserole dish.
- In a saucepan, bring water to boil and add the 1/2 teaspoon salt. Slowly add the cornmeal and cook over low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour 2/3 of the hot cornmeal mush into a 2 quart casserole dish. Using the spoon, bring it up the sides as far as it will reach. If mush is too thick to spread, add a little boiling water.
- In a large frying pan, cook, but don't brown, the ground beef, breaking it up into crumbs as it cooks. Add onion and green pepper and cook 5 minutes longer.
- Add corn (with its liquid), chili powder, salt and tomato sauce, heat until very hot and pour mixture into the casserole dish lined with cornmeal mush.
- Spoon remaining cornmeal mush over top. Again, it should be thin enough to spread, but certainly not watery.
- Top with grated cheese and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 to 40 minutes, or until cheese is melted and browned.
Tamale Pie, recipe