- Meat Mixture:
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 (7 ounce) cans Mexican-style corn (such as Green Giant®)
- 1 (8 ounce) jar chunky salsa
- 1 (7.75 ounce) can Mexican-style hot tomato sauce (such as El Pato®)
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 1 (1 ounce) packet taco seasoning mix
- Corn Bread Topping:
- 1 (15 ounce) package corn bread mix (such as Krusteaz® Honey Corn Bread Mix)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 2 (7 ounce) cans Mexican-style corn (such as Green Giant®), drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Pour 2 tablespoons olive oil into a cold skillet; sprinkle in garlic. Cook garlic over medium heat until sizzling and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir onion, salt, and pepper into the garlic and olive oil; cook until onion is translucent, 5 to 10 minutes. Cook and stir ground beef into onion mixture until beef is browned and crumbly, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Mix 2 cans Mexican-style corn, salsa, hot tomato sauce, 1 can chopped green chiles, and taco seasoning into ground beef mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover skillet, and simmer until liquid has reduced, about 15 minutes. Transfer meat mixture to a 10x14-inch casserole dish.
- Stir corn bread mix, milk, vegetable oil, and egg together in a bowl; fold in 2 cans drained Mexican-style corn, 1 can drained green chiles, Mexican cheese blend, and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Spoon cornbread mixture over meat mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the corn bread comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
Sweet Tamale Pie, recipe