- 1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 drop red food coloring, or desired amount
- 1 drop green food coloring, or desired amount
- 1 drop yellow food coloring, or desired amount
- 1 drop blue food coloring, or desired amount
- 24 flat-bottomed wafer ice cream cones in assorted colors
- 1 (16 ounce) container prepared vanilla frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Stir cake mix, water, eggs, and vegetable oil together in a bowl until moistened; beat the batter with an electric mixer set on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Divide cake batter into 4 equal portions in separate bowls. Tint each bowl a different color, stirring in red, green, yellow, and blue food coloring to reach desired shade.
- Set ice cream cones upright in 24 muffin cups.
- Spoon about 1 1/2 tablespoons of each colored batter into cones, leaving about 1 inch of room from the top.
- Carefully transfer cones to the preheated oven and bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a filled cone comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool cupcakes thoroughly before decorating, about 1 hour.
rainbow cupcake cones, recipe