- 3 tablespoons olive oil, or more as needed
- 1 onion, minced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced, or more to taste
- 1 eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 10 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion and garlic until tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Add eggplant, basil, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper to onion mixture; cook and stir, mashing occasionally with a wooden spoon, until eggplant is cooked through but still holds shape, about 10 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and cool mixture to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat (such as Silpat(R)).
- Mix Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs into eggplant mixture; shape into 15 to 18 "meatballs". Arrange "meatballs" on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 30 minutes.
Vegetarian Eggplant Meatballs, recipe