- 2 cups peeled garlic cloves
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 4 cups garbanzo beans, undrained
- 2/3 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
- Place garlic cloves in a saucepan. Pour in oil to barely cover garlic. Heat over medium heat until oil bubbles. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring every 3 to 4 minutes, until garlic turns light brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and strain out garlic; let infused oil cool to room temperature.
- Place cumin seeds in a small skillet over low heat. Toast until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a spice grinder and grind into a powder.
- Drain garbanzo beans into a bowl, reserving 2 to 3 tablespoons soaking liquid.
- Combine 1/4 garlic cloves, cumin powder, garbanzo beans, tahini, lemon juice, and salt in a food processor; blend, thinning with reserved soaking liquid and 1 to 3 tablespoons garlic oil, until hummus is smooth.
Cam's Hummus, recipe