- Cookie Dough:
- 2 1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening (such as Crisco®)
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, or as needed
- For Decorating:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 drop blue food coloring, or as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon water, or as needed
- 2 tablespoons sugar sprinkles, or to taste
- Stir gluten-free flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, nutmeg, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Beat sugar and shortening with an electric mixer in a large bowl until smooth. Add beaten eggs, milk, and vanilla extract; beat until light and airy, about 2 minutes. Add gluten-free flour mixture in small batches and stir until dough is just combined.
- Pat dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Dust rolling pin and cookie cutters with confectioners' sugar. Roll out dough to 1/2-inch thickness; cut cookies and place 2 inches apart onto the baking sheets.
- Whisk egg yolk with food coloring and water in a small bowl. Decorate cookies with mixture using a child's paintbrush. Sprinkle sugar sprinkles on top.
- Bake in the the preheated oven until edges are golden, 8 to 12 minutes. Cool on the baking sheets for 1 minute before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Gluten-Free Basic Sugar Cookies, recipe