- 1 cup homemade pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise and seeds scraped out
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar, divided
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- Combine pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, and scraped vanilla bean seeds in a bowl.
- Combine 3/4 of the cream and 1/2 of the brown sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a gentle simmer over low heat.
- Combine remaining cream, remaining sugar, egg yolks, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and nutmeg in a second bowl and stir until sugar has dissolved. Pour in hot cream mixture, 2 tablespoons at a time, stirring constantly until combined.
- Pour mixture into the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Simmer until mixture thickens and no longer drips off the spatula.
- Remove from heat and pass through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl. Set bowl into a larger bowl filled with ice water. Stir constantly until cooled.
- Stir in pumpkin puree mixture. Cover surface with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours or up to 1 day.
- Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions, about 20 minutes. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until firm, about 3 hours.
homemade pumpkin ce cream, recipe