- 3 cups unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 1/3 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- Place flour, brown sugar, warm water, salt, olive oil and yeast in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select dough cycle; press Start.
- Place pizza stone in oven and preheat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Oven must be preheated at least 30 minutes before baking.
- Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Form dough into two loaves. Place the loaves seam side down on a cutting board generously sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover the loaves with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat together egg and 1 tablespoon water. Brush the risen loaves with egg mixture. Make a single long, quick cut down the center of the loaves with a sharp knife. Gently shake the cutting board to make sure that the loaves are not sticking. If they stick, use a spatula or pastry knife to loosen. Slide the loaves onto the pizza stone with one quick but careful motion.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until loaves sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
talian bread baked on a pizza stone, recipe