- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 ounces smoked ham, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 4 green onions, chopped, white and green parts separated
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 1/2 cups cold chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound small raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 pinch salt, or to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Melt butter over medium heat in a deep frying pan. Stir in diced ham and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in red bell pepper, celery, white portions of green onion, jalapeno pepper, and garlic; cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in Cajun seasoning and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in flour; cook and stir until flour is no longer gritty, about 3 minutes. Pour in chicken broth and Worcestershire sauce; increase heat to medium-high. Simmer until vegetables are soft and liquid is reduced and thick, 10 to 15 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Stir in shrimp; cook and stir until shrimp are cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and cayenne pepper to taste. Garnish with green parts of green onions.
Ham and Shrimp Gravy, recipe